Sunday, March 13, 2011

Katuso Primary School - United Future Foundation

Sixth months ago I had the opportunity to hop in my flatmate Dave's "ute" (that's Aussie for "truck") and "rock up to" (that's Aussie for "arrive at") the patch of land that the organization he co-founded had recently bought for the purpose of building a primary school. In the ensuing six months I had the pleasure of watching otherwise-mellow Dave reach all stages (which I know well) of near-panic and over-extension as he ostensibly oversaw the building of a nascent school, the hiring of four teachers and the enrollment of 81 local nursery (kindergarten) and Primary 1 (first grade) students. I finally had the opportunity to revisit the site and was - to put it lightly - stunned. Dave and United Future Foundation have put up what I will confidently say is the nicest, most well-thought out and most well-appointed village school I have seen in my year and a half in Uganda (and I've seen a fair number of schools...). The fact that I know that Dave managed to pull this off between early September and when the school term began on 30 January makes it all the more remarkable; well I know how the best-laid timelines can be waylaid in Uganda.

Beyond producing a remarkable environment for 81 students (and more soon...) in what must be record time, Dave is one of the most critical individuals I have met in the development world. Though he and I do have some fundamental disagreements about models of development, I cannot think of a person I would rather be doing the work that Dave is doing (and I continue to try to get him to change my mind about development...).

My hat is off to Dave and to UFF. Enjoy:

The UFF bus picks up some stragglers on the way


If that isn't love in her eyes, I don't know what is.

The nicest village school I've seen.

Dave, head teacher (Ugandan) Jen and teacher-trainer (British) Jen in Dave's office



Lucky, the attack-dog...

...vs. Jen's ankles

I dig the architectural features


Head-shots

Weaver birds make noisy neighbors

The kitchen

And the borehole. Eight-seven meters deep!


One of the more interesting designs for latrines I've seen. Also the nicest latrines I've seen in the village.

Doorway on the front side goes to the teachers' latrines. Two doors on the back side go to boys' and girls' latrines.


The long walk...

A classroom to rival American schools.


They forgot to label the goatee.

My only critique: they seriously need to step up their game in the coffee-shop.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to Dave & all who worked with him. It must be so gratifying to see it come to fruition, and the kids look like they're as happy as school kids anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, highly impressive. Good for him getting that kind of thing done and it all looks beautiful.

    Second, drip coffee if very in right now, so as long as the beans are good (?) you've got yourself some gourmet coffee right there.

    ReplyDelete