Wednesday, November 3, 2010

16 hours to and from Arua for 15 hours in Arua for 2 hours of meeting in Arua.

Monday: errands around town, to the office in late morning, on a bus to Arua at 1

The first couple hours of the bus-ride, emailing away. The lady in front of me kept kinda fingering my hands/phone/book/whatever was within reach. It go old.


On the roooad agaaaain


A favorite snack


Looks like Africa out there.


In to Arua town at 9pm. Dropped my bags at the hotel and straight to the little hole-in-the-wall Ethiopian place I found last time I was here. You can tell it's an Ethiopian restaurant from the sign.


So incredibly impressed with myself for remembering to take a picture before devouring this. Not a bad meal for 5,000 Shillings (~$2.40)

One of the great frustrations/confusions of ex-pats in Uganda is how, being so (relatively) close to Ethiopia, Uganda managed to completely miss the interesting-cuisine-boat.

Okay, now I've encountered this a couple times in my stint in Uganda. Why... why the hell would you make a bed sideways?


The next morning, had my two-hour meeting. A little taste of Arua town, whilst speed-walking back to the bus


Bus-stop


Truck-load of dinner. I'll have to get a close-up of one of these trucks some time... they could turn you vegetarian right quick.


The hawkers descend. They're like gnats. As soon as I'd stop moving, they'd descend on me ("Muzungu! Buy meat! Give me money! Muzungu! You give me money now!"... charming), so I pretty much walked circles around the bus for 10 minutes.


And on the road again


16 hours of bus-riding in two days, all for a two-hour meeting, was a bit much.

No comments:

Post a Comment