Monday, September 13, 2010

Work: tangiblized

Look! I just invented a word!


Two months since my last post. That's nearly 1/6th of the time I've been here. Slick, Afrikatz.

Welll as many of you probably know, the family recently visited and we had a ridiculously amazing time together. I have close to one million photos, and nearly as many stories, but the prospect of delving into that is massively intimidating at the moment. So I'm not going to!

Instead...

Recently the data-entry company finally finished entering the 2,812 28-page surveys from the SaLSa baseline, and it was time to pick them up. Joe, IPA Uganda's phenomenal office- and data-manager, came along to see how my little vehicle would do with so many surveys. I was a bit nervous about how I could possibly fit all that in the Rav.

Flawless victory!



I'm so proud/smug

So proud of the little guy... 78,736 pieces of paper, and maybe half full?


Roped everyone currently in the office into helping carry them up the 5 stories to the office:




In the office




And for context (surveys from other survey exercises in envelopes on the other shelves)


Kinda weird seeing such a tangible, visible result of so much damn work. Looks so.... small. I swear I worked harder than that.


Now to start working on sampled re-entry to see how well data-entry company did (holding my breath...).

1 comment:

  1. Daniel, are you aware of our EpiSurveyor mobile electronic data collection system? Allows anyone to make a mobile-phone-based data collection system online in minutes to hours. If it meets your needs, great. If it doesn't please do let me know why not -- so we can improve it to your spec!

    http://www.episurveyor.org

    Funded by UN Foundation and Vodafone Foundation, and winner of the Wall Street Journal Award for Healthcare IT and the Lemelson-MIT award for sustainability -- AND developed by DataDyne's Kenyan team in Nairobi. With more than 2400 free users in more than 120 countries worldwide.

    Best,

    Joel Selanikio, MD
    CEO, DataDyne.org
    www.datadyne.org

    ReplyDelete