Tuesday, January 19, 2010

You are welcome!

*Note, in Ugandanglish, the above title translates to "please come in", not "i appreciate your appreciation for the thing I did for you"


FIRSTLY: Guess what I did today? Field tested SaveMoRe! And it WORKED! (mostly)
Holy crap! I'm not a total failure!
Noooow to get all the million little details ironed out before implementation begins (and, uh, train like 25 people...)


Aaaaanyway, I'm not at work right now, so I'm going to stop thinking about work. I am at home, so I'm going to think about home.

Many many moons ago I walked around my apartment with my camera set on "video" and made a royal dork out of myself by annotating a tour of my apartment (complete with Kate making fun of me for having 2 takes).

Fortunately the East African internet wouldn't allow me to make an internationally known dork of myself. Instead I finally got my lazy butt to walk around my apartment with my camera on "picture" mode. Please, have a look around:

From Home Tour

Welcome inside. That's my helmet. And some jackets. And some shoes. And the side of the refrigerator waaaaay in the distance.

From Home Tour

You've now walked inside and turned around to admire our tasteful security gate and MASSIVE lock. And my helmet again.

From Home Tour

Rotating to the right faces you toward the living room. Pretty cool locally handmade furniture, Obama's face gazing on approvingly, a cool lampshade thingy, kitty-sighting #1 (Koopama I think... under the couch), the clothes-drying porch at the far end, and a suitcase inexplicably on top of some baskets.

From Home Tour

A full 180 and you're in the eating-nook. The washing machine just peeks around the corner because it knows it's out of place (currently pulled out of its normal spot for repair... Daniel's getting stinky)

From Home Tour

Through the eating nook to the left and we're in the kitchen. Gas stove (woo!), refrigerator, grass outside, some whiskey (weird, Bob Dylan just said "whiskey" write as I typed it), several-day-old popcorn (Kaaaaate?) and a power-strip at a probably unsafe angle.

From Home Tour

Another 180. Lotsawater, well-used coffee-making accoutrement, a photograph of mushrooms I've been meaning to ask Kate to explain and kitty-sighting #2 (Kasuku aka Little One aka devil-cat aka DAMMIT CAT WHY DID YOU EAT MY BREAD/COOKIE/WATER aka bowling-ball)

From Home Tour

Uh... just teleported back to the living-room. Hi Barack! Sorry your approval ratings are dropping, but we still like you, k?. Pretty baskets - the one on the left is mine.

From Home Tour

I like these baskets. What do you think, $60 at Pier 1 or Cost Plus World Market? Mmmm?
Try $8 on the street in Uganda! BOOM! As for getting it home... hm.

From Home Tour

KITTY-SIGHTING #3. Mbeezy. This cat is strange, but adorably so.

From Home Tour

The drying-room, unused, and the charming view out the window (same as out my window).

From Home Tour

Down the hallway toward the bedrooms. I see clean sheets in the distance.

From Home Tour

My room! I'm sitting at that desk right now. Photo of my family superawesomejumping on the beach gracing my desk. And look rrreeeeeeally close at the little table to the left of my bed and you'll see a pop of pretty-colored fabric from Honduras. Thanks Dave! (Rebecca- the bubblegum cigars are long-since consumed, and the rainbow-caribiner graces my backpack).
Chris's little asteroid print above my window and Rebecca's "Mira las luces!" print above-right of my desk.

From Home Tour

Walk in and turn right - my bookcase-o-crap. Brother-time, a pretty painted wooden Ugandan bird, some Ugandan pottery, Kirkland Signature-quantity almonds (picking almond-bits out of my teeth as I type), barely-touched GRE books and well-used deodorant (how to deal with a broken washing machine).

From Home Tour

Photos of friends, a krama scarf I got in Cambodia (brought for those cchhiiiiilllyyy Ugandan nights...) and another basket I like even more than the other one.

From Home Tour

See? It's a basket.

From Home Tour

Devil-kitty. Pretending she is not devil-kitty

From Home Tour

Kasuku makes a a unique and remarkable effort to appear as unlike Satan's four-legged spawn as possible to my American audience (which is probably consisting of... Mom).
I swear to all that is holy, though... if she so much as makes extended eye-contact with those almonds, I'm going to kitty-bowl her across the continent.

From Home Tour

Barriers!
and family.
and the bathroom down yon hallway.

From Home Tour

It's a toilet. I do not poop in a hole in the ground.

From Home Tour

I usually shower squatting. As if frequent bucket-showers weren't annoying enough.

From Home Tour

Look! It's bathroom stuff! In Africa!
And photo-cards courtesy of Awava (www.awavamarket.com - Kate's fair trade craft company), taken by Glenna Gordon I believe.

From Home Tour

Teleporting back to the living room (and time-traveling to daytime): the view from the couch. Television. African stuff. Baskets by Awava. Pirated movies.

From Home Tour

Aaaaaand how Yours Truly spends a good chunk of the time he's not at work panicking and shaking his hands at nipple level.

Say goodbye to Barack!

3 comments:

  1. re: the living room and kitchen pictures, if you spun 360 degrees, you'd end up looking at the same spot, wouldnt you? c'mon you're supposed to be better at math than me! ;)

    -peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL RIGHT ALL RIGHT.

    Jeez. Fixed it.


    Actually I'm kinda mortified because just a couple days ago I scoffed at a billboard which made exactly this mistake. Damn!

    ReplyDelete