Thursday, October 8, 2009

No real theme... but some pictures!

First of all, check it out! You can see where I live (You have to copy and paste the link into a browser):

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=102142699161213526741.00047566939e340cbfd7a&ll=0.310443,32.626503&spn=0.002806,0.003535&t=h&z=18


It looks just about as soulless from the ground, too. It's the inside that matters, though, right? Here's a sneak peak:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Yes, it is bigger, more spacious and generally more comfortable than my apartment in Berkeley was. And it has a washing machine! And a gas stove! I had to travel clear to the opposite side of the planet to finally have these luxuries.


Sooo in the process of making my living space even more livable, I bought myself a new foam mattress. Except I didn't really "measure" my bed before buying the mattress. So what do you do when your foam mattress is about a foot wider than your bed? Equip your flatmate with a bread knife and sick her on it:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

A few people have asked me about the weather here. Yes, I am only about 25 miles north of the equator. And yes, it is POURING rain right now. And actually kinda cold. Uganda in general is actually fairly high-altitude, meaning that we don't get that stereotypically hot&steamy air-so-thick-you-can-almost-drink-it equatorial clime. Instead it's actually pretty nice. There have definitely been a few moments of "holy crap it is Africa hot!" but the weather tends to be pretty variable. Today's a good example: when I left the house at 8:15 it was bright and sunny and bordering on hot. At noon it starting thundering, lightninging and POURING rain. I don't remember the last time I heard thunder like that - it sounded like someone was shelling the office.

Aaaanyway, this kind of weather makes choosing one's attire in the morning a bit tricky... especially when one's mode of transportation to the office is the back of a motorbike-taxi. Hence my awesome traveling-to-work get-up on Tuesday:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I was going for the pastel-spaceman-commando look.

And 30 seconds late, voila!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


And a completely unrelated pretty picture of Kampala from the hill of Makerere University:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ok, that's about the end of my themeless rambling for the evening. Have a nice yesterday!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!! Pictures! Love the pastel-spaceman-commando look. Are the motorbike taxi drivers better than in Kampala than they seemed to be in BKK?
    So what's the altitude there to give you bursts of cool weather? And how far are you from work?
    Is this new mattress giving you a better night's sleep than the previous one? And is that your mosquito net suspended above your bed?
    'kay, I'm thinkin' that's enough questions for right now. Hope you're having a good night's sleep! -Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's this imageshack bullshit? Haven't you ever heard of flickr? Join the rest of us in the 21st, thx.

    PS What's up? I didn't read the blog, just looked at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete